Whittier has the distinction of being Lawton's only school named after a poet. It takes its name from John Greenleaf Whittier. Construction of the school began in 1942, but in November, the War Production Board ordered all work to be stopped so materials could be saved for the war. The school was completed in January, 1944 and opened as an Elementary/Junior High.
All of Whittier's principals have been women:
- Maude Maib 1944-1947
- Helen McIntosh 1947-1974
- Gwen Cox 1974-1986
- Marlene Jones 1987-2002
- Donna Bagwell 2002-2008
- Brenda Hatch 2008-2013
- Melanie Nungesser 2013-Present
The school is located in the beautiful Fields and Dunning neighborhood. The building consists of a two-story structure that houses thirteen classrooms, a "cafe-gym-atorium", library and five portable classrooms.
Currently, 260 students attend Whittier in grades kindergarten - fifth year. Our student population includes one self-contained deaf-hearing impaired class and two full-day kindergarten classes.
Whittier Elementary was recognized as a National Exemplary School in 1987-1988. Emphasis on high expectations has continued through the implementation of Great Expectations in 2002. Whittier earned the status of a Great Expectations' Progressive School in 2003-2004 and a Model School continually for the past five years. This distinction is not easily attained and is applied for annually.
Whittier is also committed to promoting a healthier lifestyle through the Safe Routes to School Walking School Bus Program. Be sure to click on the Walking School Bus icon to learn more about how you can be a part of this special program.