Biography, Accomplishments and Recognition
Prior to being hired as the Lawton Public Schools Superintendent in 2013, Dr. Tom Deighan taught in Calumet, worked as a principal in Geary Public Schools, and served as superintendent of Ringwood Public Schools. He has taught every age group from kindergarten to doctorate level students.
Tom holds a Bachelor’s degree from Southwestern Oklahoma State University in English Education, a Master’s Degree from the University of Central Oklahoma in Educational Administration, and a Ph.D. from the University of Oklahoma in Educational Administration and Curriculum Supervision with an Emphasis in Technology Leadership. He holds 7-12 Language Arts, K-12 Spanish, Elementary Education, Pk-12 Principal, and Superintendent certificates.
Educational Leadership Principles
Dr. Deighan believes the future of Lawton Public Schools is strong and can continue on a course of striving for excellence.
- We celebrate our diversity within a culture of shared professional ideals.
- We foster investment in LPS through communication, collaboration, and transparency.
- We promote healthy and fit lifestyles as we learn, do, and teach.
Lawton Public Schools Accomplishments 2013-2016
- District able to absorb $8million in cuts without layoffs during states largest budget crisis in the history of the state (increased carryover during 2013-14, 2014-15 school years)
- Conducted voluntary, independent reviews of transportation, special education, maintenance, payroll, human resources, and finance
- Established 7-period day for high school
- Raised LPS graduation rate above state average
- ACT averages increased over state average
- Summer school enrollment is shrinking
- Increase in number of full day Pre K classes
- Established Bond Oversight Committee
- 100% highly qualified teacher status for LPS, Three Years in a Row
- Applied and Achieved STEM City Status for Lawton
- District able to purchase textbooks for the first time in 10 years
- Workers Compensation Claims rate is 66% less that other districts across state – significant savings for Lawton Public Schools
- New computers for every teacher
- Routing software implemented for transportation
- Moved maintenance to all electronic work order tracking system
- Site budgets restored to principals for 3rd year in a row
- 8% extra duty raises given
- Small bonuses for support and certified staff
- Tomlinson Middle School Piloting 1:1 iPad Initiative for District
- Adult Education moved to Great Plains Tech Center
- District Administration Magazine – Chosen as District of Distinction
Dr. Deighan’s Personal Accomplishments/Recognition During LPS Tenure
- Member of Leadership Oklahoma Class 28
- Recognized by Lawton NAACP, #6131
- Member of Governor Mary Fallin’s Education Committee
- Member of State Department of Education, Superintendent Joy Hofmeister’s, Committee
- USSA Executive Board Member